Sunday, February 10, 2008

Briefly Before Feeling Sick

I feel kind of cold-like if you know what I mean, but I do have chores to do and an e-zine to publish and two instruments to practice before caving in to my slumberly desires.

Basically, this weekend I shopped, went to church and watched hours of television. I don't watch that much TV during the week because of school (no-brainer) so I've watched quite a bit. It feels good to vegetate, although--

I need to read something a bit more mind-stretching that hasn't been published in the last 5 years. Any recommendations? I just need books, really, and one in particular that I'm supposed to write an article about NEXT WEEK... eeek.

Well, off to cleaning. You know that's my vocation in life.

6 comments:

Katie Beth said...

Books! Booksbooksbooks!

Um, okay... thinking... Jane Eyre is pretty much a must for anyone (I'm guessing you've read that already though). If you're feeling the least bit depressed, I now always recommend Sherlock Holmes. Seriously.

Madeline said...

okay. i totally posted, but forgot to sign in, so i'm not sure if you got it... it went something like this:
I'm pretty sure you've already read all the aforementioned books (which makes me 100% positive actually) but we're doing a unit on Naturalism, we're in the middle of Black Boy by Richard Wright. It's his autobiography of growing up in the south. I loved it. want something more classic? my english teacher would probably recommend her favorite "your life will never change" not-feel-good-book L'Assomoir by Emile Zola. L'Assomoir sounds fascinating I would love to read it myself. it's modern, but not so modern that english teachers refuse to look it in its little standard page face.

Madeline said...

actually, earlier I thought that you were snubbing me by deleting my comments... but again, totally didn't sign in. geez im brilliant... and beautiful, I got my braces off! I'll call you tomorrow, so you can sleep tonight. lol. btw I bought the Sara Barielles CD Little Voices and It's Time by Michael Buble... as well as some of his other excellent songs. LOVE IT! I'm seriously considering salsa dancing or something (Save the Last Dance for Me)

Gabrielle said...

Babe, I could never snub you. I need to buy the rest of Sara Bareilles' CD. There's just too many taxes on my limited resources at the moment... pooey. I saw the Michael Buble ad on tv and freaked. i love his voice sooo much. MAKE ANDREW TAKE YOU SALSA DANCING!

Gabrielle said...

and thanks to both madeline & KB for the book rec's. KB, I have read Sherlock Holmes (i own volume 1 and then multipe copies of various stories) but he is always good for a reread. Sigh. Why don't they make men like him any more?

On second thought... thank God they don't.

Katie Beth said...

AMEN.