Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Date of One

I just got back from a lovely night. Date. With myself.

I was not stood up.

Kids from AP Chem had talked about seeing a movie this weekend, but it didn't work out because I had a harp thing. But I thought, I would like to go to Barnes & Noble's and just read by myself for a while. You know, I'd like to see a movie, too. So I got dolled up (I looked--look--fabulous, by the way, and with a new haircut) and tonight I had a date by myself. I went to B&N and read the latest Private novel, which sucked in entirety but brought back good memories. Then I went to see Definitely, Maybe which was adorable. I really love going to the theater by myself. It's a very different experience.

Afterwards, I went back to the bookstore to finish the novel and then place my order for Breaking Dawn, the last in Stephenie Meyer's mind-blowing perfect series. The book happens to come out in August, and the clerk clearly thought I was crazy for pre-ordering so soon ("they don't even have a cover yet.") But I wanted to.

E. Lockhart's The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks comes out in mid-March and Melissa Walker releases Violet by Design next week, both of which I'm excited about.

However, my father had his doubts about my "date of one," distrusting his daughter of sixteen years who has only lied to him once (I was about six, and it concerned a bucket, I believe... okay, maybe I've lied to them more than that, can't remember), and half-asked my mother whether I was meeting someone. I was extremely offended when informed by my amused mother. What kind of male chauvinist thinks that a girl will get dressed up and go out and have a good time only because she is going to meet a boy?

And didn't he think I would be more creative about it if I was sneaking around with someone? Like, I would have totally gone for the grunge look AND I would have said I was meeting a girlfriend that my parents didn't know AND... I probably would have lied to them about the movie. Gosh. I do read, you know.

But my feministic fury is spent. I should probably practice piano and do AP chem homework, but instead I'm going to cuddle up with Twilight and spend time with Edward Cullen, the only man I would sneak around and lie to my parents and sell my soul for. Because, you know, he's a totally hot vampire.

1 comment:

Madeline said...

Hilarious, i should hope you would be more creative! you are amazing. i have a whole new theory of feminism... it is actually a wonderful idea, in which i could write a dessertation--which i can't even spell--and get a doctorate in psychology on. i'll call you soon.