Monday, February 18, 2008

Feminism and Fevers

So, I've basically been sick since Wednesday but my three-day weekend took a turn for the terribly worse with fevers and chills and sore throats and blotchy noses... I love, love, love my English heritage, but the only thing I complain about is that whenever I cry/have a cold, my nose turns positively red and freezes that way... WHY THIS WEEKEND?? Still, I'm having a hard time swallowing so I may not be at school tomorrow. We shall see.



I have spent the weekend attempting to get up, and when failing, reading and watching TV. Sunday I read Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher and watched The River Runs Through It with my parents (which, I must own, I did not completely understand.) But I got Pipher's book. I had read this 90s-bestseller before but was too young to appreciate it. She basically is lambasting the way young women are portrayed by mass culture and judged by people in general, saying that it poisons their character and stereotypes them to a point of destructive behavior. I really enjoyed her book and the stories she told about her therapy clients. A few things are outdated now in the 2000s, what with internet and a small wave of feminism working its way back in, and I disagree with her on a few issues. In whole, her work has been beyond important for America to see its young women as they are, and not as they "should" be.



Today, I woke up feeling much better... until like 10 AM. Then I started to burn up and feel awful. So I watched multiple episodes of Project Runway and read The Awakening by Kate Chopin this afternoon. This was an incredible book, especially if you realize when it was written. It's the story of a married woman in Louisiana who finds herself lost in a shallow, too-small world. If it were published for the first time today, it might be nodded at and applauded; but it was published in 1899!!!!



So, still sick, now checking prices on European hostels. WHY DID I HAVE TO GET SICK ON MY THREE DAY WEEKEND?

1 comment:

Madeline said...

we had CSI day in English a few blocks ago! this stands for Chopen Stories investigation (or something like that) we read a whole bunch of short stories by her and examined her background as a Louisianna Southern female, and why she looked at issues the way she did. very interesting. we read Delilah's Baby and the Storm and something else. i think the storm was by her. I made this innocent comment about a particular sentence... and apparently it was a very racy and innappropriate sentence... mrs. graves just shook her head.