Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Over My Head... Maybe?

When people ask me how my school days have gone, I say "okay." I mean that in the true sense of the word, as in "there were good times and bad times." Good times like lunch, where the AP Chem girls adopt me and we have fun talking about boys, Jane Austen and SAT prep classes (I know, I really have a life.) Bad times like my locker refusing to open and I feel like my face is all red and gross and I get an 84 on a quiz and am still waiting for the F on the other one. Or like right now, on my sixteenth birthday, where I am about 50% done with my AP Chem homework and still need to figure out how to work a new laptop.

I am not coming to school for the academics, but it's like an incurable disease-- I can't not care. I've tried. It is too embedded into my psyche, due to highly educated genes and an overachiever complex. And it also stresses me out a lot, and I missed my daily walk-- huge destresser-- today. I feel like a salmon with a broken fin and malfunctioning GPS system, trying to sail the wrong way up the stream. I need to remember that nobody expects me to swim perfectly.

Yes, I think I had a nice birth-day. My bday celebrations have been going on for the whole month of January, it feels like, and so today is kind of anteclimatic. All I want to do know is to go to sleep!

More school and b-day related stuff tomorrow. For now: carry on, Mr. Bowditch.

1 comment:

Katie Beth said...

I hope you DID enjoy your birthday. :-)

And Gabrielle, don't TRY not to care. You'll regret it later if you do, I'm sure of it. Overachieving, in moderation, is a very good thing. :-)