Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Art of Being Schooled, or Letters from Day 1

It wouldn't be a first day if I didn't miss the bus. So of course, in honor of a tradition dating from sophomore year, I missed the bus.

Still, the day wasn't too bad. I woke up about an hour before we left to take care of necessary academic preparations (read: makeup, hair and clothes.) An aide in the guidance department gave me a tour when I got there, and then I trotted off to Journalism Skills. I am also taking AP Chemistry, Foods & Wellness, Honors English 11, Latin IV, Math Analysis/Trig and a study hall. This is the first time I've had study hall in a real school and not in a homeschool co-op and I am looking forward to enjoying it.

Obse--

I had to pause because I accidentally set my microwave s'more to 1 hour and not 20 seconds... i have no idea how this happened. now it is pleasantly smoking up my kitchen and I have to be at harp in half an hour. I love my harp teacher, but I am about as excited as investigating year-old poop about this lesson.

Anyway. Observations about teenagers:

1. They all dress really badly. Like, they all get their clothes from the same faded-color, cheap graphic-tee store and they have NO sense of style. The few that do are all older girls, and the style usually stops at H&M.

2. They love to curse like sailors. Since sailing is a less popular career avenue now, I believe the new correct phrase is "cursing like teenagers." It's so glam to them.

3. They're all crazy and lovable. OK, scrap the lovable. You have to love the joie de vivre of teenagerness, though.

I feel so old there. Like I'm a college student moonlighting as a teen.

Well, as first days go, it's been all right. First days are never really dramatic, and the only reason you could feel like crying/laughing is because you are tired. Like me. I am exhausted and all I want to do is go upstairs and listen to Sara Bareilles and Michael Buble. But I have a fried s'more in the microwave.

No comments: