Monday, January 28, 2008

The Origin of Maud Lovelace, and Other Literary Allusions

The reason I chose the title of Maud Lovelace for my public high school can be easily explained. Lovelace was the author of the infamous Betsy-Tacey-Tib series, set at the turn of the century set in the Pacific Northwest-ish area. I have read Betsy and Joe, the book about the trio in their senior year of high school, about twenty times. No joke. My copy defines the word "dog-eared."

I love the story of such a typical Americana high school experience. I love Betsy and Joe. I love Maud Lovelace. Thus the title for my school.

I was thinking about how so many YA books and movies are written about kids who start a new school in the first chapter. Here is a list of what I can think of; add on any that I've missed.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Private by Kate Brian
Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brian
The Queen Geek Social Club by Laura Preble (Becca, although she doesn't start until like chapter 3)
10 Things I Hate About You ... I miss you, Heath Ledger.
Mean Girls (don't worry, I get the similarities)
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian that won this year's National Book Award. I haven't read it yet, but I think it's about this.

No comments: